What You Can Do
If you have information on copper theft activity call our toll-free confidential
hotline at 1-866-747-5845, or contact your local law enforcement agency.
Appalachian Power offers a reward up to $5,000 for information that leads to the
arrest and conviction of copper thieves.
Recognize and Report Metal Theft
Stealing wire and equipment from electric utilities is dangerous, illegal and must
be reported. Metal theft can cause:
- Power surges or outages
- Injury to an innocent person coming in contact with tampered equipment
Steps We're Taking
We are working with law enforcement, community
leaders, and scrap metal centers to raise awareness of metal theft dangers.
What to Look For
Indications of metal theft include:
- Missing sections of power lines or ground wires
- Power lines hanging in the air or lying on the ground
- Missing or misaligned covers to underground vaults
- Cut fences or locks near electric substations
- Holes dug underneath fences
- Suspicious or unauthorized persons near substations; authorized personnel include
Appalachian Power-hired subcontractors
- Individuals carrying large bundles of wire