APCO - Indoor Tips APCO - Indoor Tips
logo
HomeYour AccountOutages & ProblemsService RequestsSafetySave Money & EnergyEnvironmentNews & InformationContact Us (Cont√°ctenos)
Indoor Safety Tips
Home
Safety / At-Home Tips / Indoor Tips
Indoor Tips for Residents and Do-it-yourselfers

Whether you're planning an indoor do-it-yourself project or you're just using appliances around the home, always have a healthy respect for electricity. Not sure you can complete the job correctly? Consider hiring an electrician to do the job to keep your family safe.

The following tips offer great ways to stay aware of electricity and avoid potentially tragic accidents at home.

Power Cords and Plugs

  • Use cords approved by the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL)
  • Install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) on outlets whenever you're working on a project like remodeling a room or adding a kitchen or bathroom. A GFCI monitors electric current; if there's an imbalance, it stops the current
  • Don't place a power cord under a carpet, through a doorway, or anywhere it could be stepped on
  • Keep cords away from heat and water
  • When unplugging an electrical object from its outlet, pull the plug, not the power cord
  • Compare the amp rating on an extension cord (indicated as "A" or "amps" on the cord) with that of the tool to make sure it can handle the tool
  • Use a heavy-duty, grounded three-wire cord for power tools

Electrical Tools and Appliances

  • Don't use a tool or appliance that shocks, smokes, emits strange odors, sparks, or operates suspiciously in any way
  • Repair or replace a tool or appliance if the insulation is cracked or missing or if the plug is loose
  • Unplug tools when you're not using them
  • Make sure the power tool you're using is on a circuit that can support its electrical requirements
  • Check that your power tools are double insulated and have grounded plugs
  • Keep your tools and appliances in good repair. Frayed cords, cords with cracked insulation, and loose plugs can shock you
  • Clean your tools. Dirt and grime buildup can cause tools to overheat

Space Heaters

  • Keep anything that is flammable away from the heater
  • Make sure curtains are nowhere near the heater
  • Make sure the heater is UL approved
  • Make sure the heater is plugged into an outlet that is not overloaded with other appliances
  • Turn off the heater when not in use or when you're leaving home

Lighting

  • Keep anything that could burn away from a hot light bulb. A 100-watt bulb can get up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Use the correct lights for the job. For example, when using holiday lights, use only indoor lights indoors. Outdoor holiday lights burn hotter and can cause accidents
  • If a strand of holiday lights is frayed, discard the string
  • Use only UL-approved lights
  • Connect lights to power strips that have several outlets and a built-in circuit breaker
  • Tell children never to touch lights or plugs, especially with wet hands
  • Unplug indoor holiday lights before going to bed each night

Indoor Safety Tips
Talk to your Kids

Explain these tips to your kids to help them understand electrical safety.

Download PDF
Visit AEP.com | View mobile site
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of the AEP Terms and Conditions. View our Privacy Policy. © 1996-2014 American Electric Power. All Rights Reserved.
Try Paperless Billing Now

You already go online to do business with Appalachian Power. Try paperless billing and you can:

  • Your Nest thermostat is waiting! Enroll in paperless today to be in the sweepstakes!
  • Pay your bills online for free
  • Help the environment by using less paper
  • Enjoy convenience -- get online access to all of your bills

Thank you. You are signed up for paperless billing and will receive your bill notification via e-mail.

We're sorry. There was an error enrolling your account in paperless billing. For more information, contact the Customer Operations Center at (800) 956-4237.
In addition to your web password, this account has a privacy Security Code. The Security Code is a password you verbally requested with an agent for your electric account. Beginning January 7th the Security Code will be required to login. Please call our Customer Operations Center at (800) 956-4237 to verify or change your Security Code.